Friday, July 6, 2012

Alyssa Crow - Day 5

I can’t believe that the Peru trip I long awaited is finally taking place.  God blessed me so much while raising support and preparing for this mission trip. He also blessed me with safety, as this was my first time flying.  I couldn’t ask for a better group to share this opportunity with or better youth leaders to guide the team. The Lord completely relieved all the fears that consumed my mind before leaving for Peru, and I am completely blown away by the power of prayer.  He has been so good to me, and He has shown me His power to overcome anything.

Today began with a meeting with missionaries from all over the world, serving in Peru. I met missionaries from Switzerland, England, China, and also from all over the United States.  It was so incredible to see how the Lord led each and every one of them to Peru in order to serve Him. I had the opportunity to speak and pray with a young woman named Andria from Colorado, someone I look up to very much. She shared how she gave up a two year relationship with a potential husband because she felt God was calling her to the mission field, while her boyfriend thought God had other plans for his life. Her courage and willingness to sacrifice herself was so inspiring to me, and it reminded me that I always need to be open-minded to the plans God has for my life.
Our VBS ministry has meant the world to me over the past few days. I was worried before we left that the language barrier would put a limitation on what God wanted me to share with the children. Even though it sounds really cliché, this trip has proven that actions speak so much louder than words.  I have been able to touch the lives of Peruvian children through simply giving them a hug and making sure they feel loved.  Or speaking the little Spanish I know, even though they laugh because I’m sure I sound completely ridiculous.  During every VBS, I’ve ended up with at least one child that clings to me throughout the program.  God has given me so many opportunities to love and give attention to children who might not get it otherwise.  Today, God blessed me with a one and a half year old to make special friends with.  She was the most adorable little girl I have ever seen and she gave me so many hugs and wanted me to hold her the whole time, which I gladly did. She had the cutest laugh, and it was really difficult for me to say goodbye.
The people I have met through VBS have truly changed my life.  The Lord has humbled me many times over the last 5 days.  It’s amazing to experience the generosity of these Peruvian people.  They have absolutely nothing, however they are willing to give so much.  A little boy in my group at snack time especially humbled me today.  He had torn clothing and a dirty face, yet the first thing he did when I gave him Ritz crackers was open the pack and share them with me. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it because his selflessness and generosity is so convicting to me.  I never anticipated being able to learn so much without speaking to anyone, but God has made that possible, and I praise Him for that.
As for new experiences go…. the Lord gave me courage to try sushi! I didn’t like it, but I hope mom is proud of me for trying new food.  I also learned how to make balloon animals, something that the children enjoy very much.  Thank you to everyone who is praying for our team; we definitely need it. I can’t wait to share all of my experiences with everyone when I get back!
Alyssa Crow

5 comments:

  1. Alyssa Grace! I was crying as I read your post, both because I miss you SO much, and because I am so grateful and blessed that the Lord is teaching you so much on this trip. I am so happy that you are stepping outside of your comfort zone and serving the Lord in whatever capacity He wants you to. Our Lord is so faithful and wonderful, and you are truly acting out the verses in Romans 10 that I shared with you before you left!! I absolutely can't wait to hear about everything. Miss you SO much. We all love you and I'm praying like every hour for you all.

    Love love love,
    Kinsey

    p.s. Jonny says he almost cried while he was reading this too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissy, My Dear Lissy, You have a giant of a God living inside of you and since you are the light of the world(all of you!), He will do a wondrous work in your life as you yield yourself to His sweet Holy Spirit. I loved reading your testimony and all the others in your group. Everyday I can't wait to read the next post in anticipation of what our awesome God is doing through all of you. Praise God for all our dear friends who made this trip possible for you!! Praying the seeds of faith you all are spreading will bear much fruit in the days to come. Keep shining your light. I love and miss you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, the easiest way to show the love of God is by giving someone a simple hug. It is awesome to read about how Jehovah Jireh, God our provider, gives us the simple things like courage and strength to reach out to others and so them the true love of Christ. The time you spent with that little girl and the love you showed her could have been the best thing that has ever happened to her. It also takes great courage for you to step out of your comfort zone to reach out to the people in the ways you have. Even though you may not speak the language, your faith in God and your love for Him shows in other ways. You're doing great! keep it up. We also cannot wait to hear your stories when you come home.


    Love in Christ,
    Scott Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alyssa!
    Thanks for sharing some of your experiences with us here at home! It really sounds as if the Lord is showing you great and mighty things! Having such an open heart and a willing spirit makes it easy for God to use you, and you are one sweet young lady who shows those attributes. May God continue to bless you, and may each day bring more and more blessings to you as you minister to the people/children of Peru. Please tell everyone hello from the Fiecoats, and give Becca a hug from me! Praying each day for you and the team.

    God bless!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyssa! I don't think there has been a post that hasn't brought me to tears. The team has encouraged us over and over. I am so thrilled to see what God is doing in everyone's lives. As I read your post, all I could think of was a moment you and I shared during VBS. I couldn't help but rejoice in God's grace and mercy and what He is doing in you. You are an amazing young lady, Alyssa! Stay strong, keep that courage... you are braver then I... sushi??? really??? I am so proud of you. I can't wait to hear all that God has done.

    ReplyDelete