Monday, July 2, 2012

Brenna Mahn - Day 2

Despite being our second day here, today surpassed yesterday in "firsts." For the first time in my life I awoke (to a wake up call at 6am) in another country. Being a rebel, of course I snoozed till seven or so, but I did eventually face the annoying creaks of my bed to arise. Breakfast consisted of new things: bananas only a bit thicker than my thumb, "tuna" (not fish, but fruit from a cactus actually), and some other fruits I have yet to identify.

We hung out for a little while, chatting and kicking a soccer ball around, until someone thought to ask the bus driver if we were waiting for the Kims or if we were leaving. Apparently there was a misunderstanding that they were coming to the seminary first before we would leave on our day's activities.  Instead, we were supposed to come to their home. So obviously, we left a little late. Our first schedule fail. :)

After picking up the Kims we went to the Plaza Mayor, walked around and took pictures. The governor's palace is by that square and many of my team members took pictures of it and themselves with the guards. I took my first picture of all of them crowded around taking pictures of the guards.

Then we went to the Musea del Congreso y de la Inquisicion. We had to wait for our tour, and while we waited a group of young Peruvian students came out and got very excited to see Americans. They kept saying, "Hello! How are you?" They asked for pictures of us and I think they seriously thought Jake was Peeta. Or maybe they just thought he was cute, but at least one claimed him as her boyfriend. I'm going to assume that being "hit on" internationally was a first for him.

The tour was a little depressing because it was about how the Catholics tried to force people to become Catholic and tortured them if they wouldn't denounce their own beliefs. It always makes me cringe when I hear about people trying to bring people to Christ completely the wrong way. With force instead of love and compassion. It really convicts me to do my best to represent the love and gentleness of Jesus so I don't turn people away from Him.

After the tour we visited the medical clinic and looked around then went to the Kims' home to eat lunch.  There I tried tofu for the first time. I didn't plan to eat it, but since I'm vegetarian and need protein, I decided to try it after all, and it really wasn't bad! :)

After lunch we got out stuff together for the first VBS, then headed off.  Kids and their families immediately started gathering around, and with some encouragement we soon had a crowd.  They were so excited to meet us and simply loved us.  We were all really nervous about it, but the whole thing went incredibly well.  They loved our skit so much they immediately began chanting for another!  We led them in songs and told them the gospel through our "Wordless bracelets" and they mobbed us for them when we started handing them out.  I painted faces more times than I could count, and said, "I'm sorry, I don't understand, I don't know much Spanish," even more times. All in all, it was incredible, and I had some of the best firsts of my entire life! :)

That's all I got.  Thanks for reading! :) God bless!

Brenna

3 comments:

  1. And thank you for sharing, Brenna! I am enjoying reading all that you guys have to share! You will experience many more "firsts," I am sure (all to make your mission trip to Peru even more memorable and blessed)! My prayers are with you and the rest of the team! May God continue to use you for His glory! God bless!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna, I loved reading about all of your experiences! and I am so glad that you're trusting in the Lord to take care of you, even in the uncertainty of a foreign country. I'm praying for you all the time!

    -Kinsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning you!

    Glad to hear that the bracelets are a hit and that you're putting your painting skills to good use :-)

    God blessed you and the other Steppers with great gifts and we're proud that you're able to share His message and His love through your talents, so people come to Him not only willingly but passionately! We pray that as you folks bless others that you will be equally blessed.

    P.S. Mom made such great veggie burgers tonight that your brother ate not one, but two of them...perhaps you can bring back a couple Peruvian recipes as well :-)

    Love ya!!!

    - me (爸爸)

    ReplyDelete